Crab Rangoon

I never cared so much about crab rangoons when I lived in Wellesley, MA. I thought it was just standard Thai or Chinese fare. Once I moved out to Los Angeles and started reminiscing about my time spent in the East coast, crab rangoon would creep back into my mind. Funny, I never got to taste its creamy goodness ever since I moved out west. I started paying closer attention to the menus at Thai and Chinese restaurants but it was a lost cause. I couldn't find crab rangoons anywhere!

I quickly gave up, thinking that it must have just been a dish Lemon Thai cooked up to put on their menu (much like "chicken in love"). I resolved that when I went back to visit Wellesley, I'd stuff my face with as much fried wontons filled with cream cheese and imitation crab meat as I could.

When my professor suggested that we go to Lemon Thai for dinner, I was so excited! I could already taste the fried gooey mess in my mouth. I loved all the paradoxes that the crab rangoon presented: the crispy outside with the creamy inside, the salty crab rangoon contrasted with the sweet chili sauce.

Finally, my long-awaited crab rangoons:



It was too heavy for me to finish like I had initially wanted but I satiated my cravings. During my east coast trip, I realized the crab rangoon was offered in many Chinese restaurants. That got me thinking and I researched the origins of it as soon as I got home. Guess what? Though the name is derived from Burmese, it was made in the U.S. (Trader Vic's is the supposed creator), much like the fortune cookie, and is highly popular in the Midwest and the East coast.

I was fooled!


I feel a bit betrayed and stupid but....


I still love it.

Lemon Thai
555 Washington St
Wellesley, MA 02482
(781) 237-6995

*edit*
I found some places in LA that serve crab rangoons, thanks to yelp. Oh, how I love yelp.com

Comments

Haha. I love how all these Asians love the inauthentic crab rangoon. Yeah, they only show up on Americanized Chinese or Thai restaurants. :P

I can't eat a lot either. Too rich for me!

Popular posts from this blog

Black Sesame - the food trend I love

Cuñape

Making Mocochinchi