Lukshon

So we decided to try out Lukshon after all the hype surrounding it. You mean, the guy who created Father's Office opened a Pan-Asian upscale restaurant that Asian Americans are liking? This is something I had to see for myself.

Sang Yoon did not disappoint. We didn't have really high expectations going in because most upscale Asian or Pan Asian places we've been to were pretty disappointing and there is also that immigrant parent voice in the back of my head saying good Asian food doesn't have to cost a lot.

We walked into a posh restaurant with long communal tables along with booths surrounding it. We sat in the middle long tables because the places was so jam packed and even had random side conversations with the people sitting next to us (they loved the food and were also Asian Americans).

We started with some drinks from the bar menu and then started the night off with The Spanish Mackerel.



The Spanish Mackerel was served sashimi style with coconut vinegar, jalapeño, lemongrass, green papaya ($14.00). I Loved the contrast in texture of the green papaya with the soft and tender flesh of the fish. It was simple, elegant, and to the point. It reminded me of the green papaya salad my vietnamese MIL taught me to make. I'd call it a fish salad if it's okay with you.

Then, in no particular order, the food started coming.

The Whole Steamed Fish with Taiwan spinach, black been ghee, sambal ijo (MP) was amazing. The fish flaked off so easily and I was sucking the meat off the bones. It was TO DIE FOR and cooked so perfectly only the eyeballs were left behind (and if my father was there, he'd gladly eat that, too).

This is the fish halfway through. The black bean ghee reminded me of jjajang (black bean paste) that Koreans use in jajang myun, or just as a dipping sauce. All the flavors worked really well. It was pretty expensive but I don't regret getting it.


Skirt Steak: Sichuan "au poivre," shishito peppers was $28.00 and enjoyed by my dining companions. I was not eating red meat at the time so I didn't get to try it but the two devoured every last morsel saying it was tender, with a lot of flavor.


Brussels Sprouts: Chile garlic vinaigrette, sesame was $9.00 and tasted carmelized and even my hubz who hates brussels sprouts ate about half of them.

The Heirloom Black Rice ($11) with lap cheong (sausage), onion, roasted garlic, topped with a sunny side up fried egg, was amazing. I've read about this dish on many foodie reviews and was dying to try it. It was decadent, flavorful, and the thing I keep thinking about when I think of Lukshon. This is the dish that is going to make me come back because I can just have that with a side of brussels sprout and a cocktail and I'm good!

The dessert is FREE. Just like how it should be!


It's definitely on the expensive side but we came here for a celebration dinner so we didn't feel like we were ripped off. For the ambience, service, and interesting fusion menu, I'd say it's worth it.
And I'll definitely be back for the heirloom black rice!

Lukshon
3239 Helms Ave
Culver City, CA 90232
(310) 202-6808



Lukshon on Urbanspoon

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Jin,
Your first posts just appeared on Urbanspoon! Check it out:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/1574628/restaurant/LA/Lukshon-Culver-City
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/5/1588848/restaurant/LA/Bebas-Restaurant-Van-Nuys
I encourage you to claim your blog, which allows you to add a picture and change some settings. The blog photo shows up next to your posts wherever they appear on Urbanspoon. Here's how to claim:
- Make sure you're logged into Urbanspoon
- Go to your blog page on our site: http://www.urbanspoon.com/br/5/5742/LA/Seeking-Food.html

- Click "Claim your blog" in the left sidebar
After you submit it, we may contact you to verify your claim. Check your spam email folder if your claim hasn't gone through in a day or two. You'll also find some interesting badges and widgets on your Urbanspoon blog page - look in the right sidebar.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Ken
www.urbanspoon.com
lonelymystique said…
Is the white fish texture, like the black cod stew in Korean food? The heirloom black rice seems interesting but sounds salty, is it?
sdfafsadf said…
hi lonely mystique. the heirloom rice actually isn't salty. it's not like squid ink, which i initially thought it was. it's actually black colored rice - imperial rice, if i remember correctly so with the egg and other seasoning, it was amazing. i'm down to go again. the fish was really soft, not as fatty as the korean black cod stew but just as soft.

Popular posts from this blog

Black Sesame - the food trend I love

Cuñape

Making Mocochinchi