Skip to main content

Film + Foodies = Feature Documentary

What have I been doing recently? If you know me, you might know that I'm a filmmaker, or a film student (depending on your stance on what makes a filmmaker a filmmaker). My latest project was supposed to be a 5 minute documentary about food bloggers. What started out as a small school project burgeoned into a ginormous undertaking and can not be a 5 minute documentary anymore because it just would not do any justice to those involved.

To give you an idea of where I went to film and how many people I interviewed, here is my shooting schedule that is still growing as we speak (I will leave out the names of those involved until after the doc is finished).

03/30/09: Nyala Ethiopian Cuisine. Food blogger = 1.
03/31/09: Serbian Tasting at Metro Diner. Foodies = 25 or so but interviewed about 10.
04/5/09: LA Curry Festival. Foodie = 1.
04/06/09: La Casita Mexicana traditional menu tasting. Foodies = 20 something + chefs.
04/08/09: Wonton Forest for lunch. Foodie = 1. Silverlake wine + Taco Run to Fletcher & Larga, and Rambos. Foodies = 2.
04/09/09: Dinner at Foodie home. Foodies = 2.
04/11/09: Nates BBQ for lunch. Foodies = 20 something. Dinner at Chicken Day, Soo Won BBQ, Hwa Sun Ji for dessert and tea. Foodies = 2.
04/13/09: Chicken Day pickup. Lady said I could film all the chicken fat they take out so I went to film it.
04/14/09: Dino's Chicken and the Mich Paleteria in Duarte (Monrovia, Azusa), Filipino dinner @ Foodie's home. Foodie = 1.
04/18/09: Special private Mexican dinner at the home of a self-taught chef. Foodie extravaganza.
04/19/09: Tentative interview with a young food blogger.

So how is it possible that I could condense all this to 5 minutes, right? I have to get a 1 TB hard drive to store just the raw footage. Let me not get started on the weight I've gained. I think people are pretty sick of hearing me talk about it.

So when I'm not filming or eating/filming - on my off days, I actually ate even more. On 4/10/09, I went to Hatfield's, which I will write about in a few days.

Tonight, I went to STK where I got to meet a lot of foodies I've never met before and will most likely badger them into letting me interview them. I will update on my STK experience as well.

Ah, the life of a foodie/filmmaker. So hard but someone's gotta do it.

Already devoured before I could take a picture: three different types of mole on chicken enchilada from La Casita Mexicana.

One of my favorites this month and this was at the home of a foodie, not at a restaurant. Though, I have no idea why he doesn't start one. I'd be there in a heart beat!
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Quinoa Soup

It took me nearly ten years to see Bolivia again. In my mind, I built up Bolivia to be this magical place where not only my childhood took place, but a place untouched by the evilness of industrialization, mass production, and globalization.

(Lomas de Arena: Sand Dunes, Santa Cruz, Bolivia)
Of course, a lot of things have changed.

(La Paz, Bolivia)
When I lived in Bolivia, I barely left my city, Santa Cruz. The cuisine of the altiplano (or the high altitude regions) is pretty different from the cuisine of the lowlands. La Paz, the capital, is dry, cold in the shade, hot in the sun, and you're basically living amongst the clouds. People here eat a lot more quinoa than they do in Santa Cruz. Most of the quinoa comes from the altiplano because quinoa is hardy and it can grow in high altitudes. The andes are the perfect place for quinoa to grow. During our trip to La Paz and the Salar de Uyuni, we had a lot of quinoa soup and cooked quinoa instead of rice. European backpackers rejoic…

Cuñape

"Cuñape" is the best cheeseballs in the world, and it’s from Santa Cruz, Bolivia. These gooey and addictive cheese balls are similar to the Brazilian "pão de queijo" or the French "gougères" or the Colombian "pandebono" but all of these are different from each other as well. Gougères are lighter and more airy while the Brazilian ones are chewier but drier on the outside. I would say the pandebonos are closest in taste and texture to the Bolivian cuñape but it is slight more bready.

In Bolivia, we use mennonite cheese (farmer's cheese) for this recipe and honestly without that cheese it will never be exactly like the original but you do what you can. I've been hunting down a similar cheese in the U.S. for ages but the closest I can get to it is to use the queso blanco or fresco and add some more salt (or even mix some feta into it).

The history of the cuñape is very interesting. It is a Guaraní word that means "a woman's breast&…

Hangari Bajirak Kalgooksoo (or kalguksu)

My Korean friend and I came here a bit early to avoid the lunch rush and I'm so glad we did. By the time we were finished, there was a grip of Koreans waiting to eat. This is one of the best kept secrets of Koreatown right now and most people still haven't quite jumped on the Kalgooksoo bandwagon yet but they will once they have a taste of this doughy hand pulled noodles set in a delicious seafood heavy broth. 

Bajirak means clams and so I ordered the restaurant namesake's noodle dish (written out as "Manila Clam Kalguksu - $9.95 as of this writing) while my friend ordered the Spicy Seafood Kalguksu ($9.95 as of this writing). We also ordered a side of steamed dumplings (was a bit extraneous at $7.95 as of this writing).

My Manila Clam Kalguksu came out piping hot. The steam that rose from it engulfed my senses and I could smell all the wonderful sea creatures that died for me to enjoy their umami flavors. One stir into my noodles and I could see how the noodles were …