Food as a Wife, a way of Life!

After getting married, the first thing I knew I had to do was create my domain in the kitchen. I know my feminist friends might scoff at this but seriously, I love cooking and if you think about it, all the top chefs in the world are men so the more women can get in the kitchen, the better.

The first lunch I made my hubby was a sandwich inspired by my good friend, Jess, who loves bringing random and interesting foods to school. I made a french baguette sandwich with brie, pear, arugula, avocado, cherry tomatoes, and salami. Then, we both got sick so I made some porridge and chicken noodle soup to revive us for a few days.

Another dish I made was spicy Korean rice cakes called dukkboki. It's amazing! I wish I had pictures. I added rice cakes, fish cakes, onions, green onions, sesame seeds, hard boiled eggs, ramen (yup, with ramen, it become rabokki), with korean red pepper paste called gochujang. My hubby brought this to lunch the next day and loved it. That inspired me to make kimchi fried rice, which is also great as leftovers.


A few days later, from those ingredients and some more, I made an open face brie sandwich platter where we could choose how much arugula, pear, strawberry jam (goes well with brie), salami, avocado we wanted in our sandwich. I made a savory and sweet version.

Tonight, I made pizza from TJ's pizza dough. It was a basil, mozarella, heirloom tomato pizza that I made on my new electric skillet. There was even a recipe that came with it. I never knew I could make pizza on that! I brought it to crisp in our new toaster oven (thanks Jess!) and it was amazing!

Now, I have boeuf bourguignon in the crock pot, a recipe I found on a year of slow cooking. I like that it's a low fat version, which also means it's a lot less work. I also got rid of the bacon since we were too lazy to go out for some. If for some reason the flavors don't develop as well without it, I can make a version with bacon tomorrow and have this version as more of a beef stew. I've made it countless times before and although people would argue that only Julia Child's version is legit, I counter that with anything with red wine and beef stewed for a long time is going to be hella good and whatever you add or take away from it will just make it into a slightly different dish and you just have to work with what you have.











Comments

Chicken Wing said…
Hi Jin! This is chicken wing. I'm a feminist, and I think it's important for everyone, regardless of gender, to know how to cook. It's a life skill! Not to get super academic activist righteous about it, but anybody who willfully decides not to learn how to cook is relying on some kind of entitlement/privilege of having others cook for them, which will ultimately limit their abilities to survive on their own when the chips are down. Now I will step off my soapbox. By the way, that meal you made looks delicious.
sdfafsadf said…
Hahahha. Thanks Chicken Wing. I feel very empowered and inspired to keep on cooking...which, I may have to do more of once this semester starts. =D

Popular posts from this blog

Black Sesame - the food trend I love

Cuñape

Making Mocochinchi